Tuesday, March 29, 2016

GIS 3015: 3D Mapping

This was probably my most favorite assignment I've had all semester, if not my entire life.  I have always been extremely fascinated in three dimensional maps, animation, and graphics.  To get a better understanding of how to create this things is like a dream come true.  I really loved exploring ArcScene and ArcGlobe while completing the ESRI training program.  Even though the exercises that required the use of ArcGlobe were not required for the assignment, I chose to do them anyways.  I wanted to do every exercise within the training to better improve my knowledge and skills of the three dimensional world.
During this assignment, I learned how to apply base heights to feature layers, how to use vertical exaggeration, how to position the light source, how to apply a background color, and I also learned about extrusion.  During this exercise, I learned that base heights are the elevation values that are used to display a layer in 3D.  By default, the 3D feature layers use their z-values as base heights and TINs (triangulated irregular networks) use their node elevations.  The default base height for all other layers is 0.  In the map I created (not shown), I set base heights for all of the feature layers to 30, so that they drape over the raster surface.
During this assignment, I learned that vertical exaggeration is a visual effect that results from multiplying the z-values in a scene by a number.  This approach has two main uses.  First, it can be used to emphasize small changes in elevation on a surface that is relatively flat, or that looks flat because of its large extent. Second, it can bring z-units into proportion with x, y units when these units measure different things.  The map I created showing vertical exaggeration is not shown.
I was really enjoying playing the different sources of light during this assignment.  As shown below, the light source is coming from the northwest, which is the default setting.  The position of the light source in a scene affects which parts of the surface are illuminated and which parts are shaded. The position is defined by an azimuth and an altitude setting.  Azimuth is a compass direction, measured clockwise in degrees from 0 to 360 (due north).  Whereas altitude is the angle measured in degrees from 0 to 90, between the light source and the horizon.


No comments:

Post a Comment