Sunday, March 20, 2016

GIS 3015: Dot Mapping

This past week, I created a dot map showing the population density of Southern Florida.  Dot maps are ideally utilized when you have collected conceptual data for enumeration units, and wish to show that the underlying phenomenon is not uniform throughout the enumeration units.  Dot maps are created by letting one dot equal a certain amount of some phenomenon and then placing dots where that phenomenon is most likely to occur.  As seen in the image below, the red dots are showing the population density in Southern Florida.  One of those dots is equivalent to 10,000 people.  I created most of this map by using ArcGIS, and I labeled the major cities and added a legend within Adobe Illustrator.  For my legend, I created a box and copy and pasted it twice, to ensure that all three boxes were of the same dimensions.  I then selected 5, 20, and then 50 dots to place in those three boxes.


No comments:

Post a Comment